Thursday, August 20, 2009

Lose My Senses

If you had to lose any one of your five senses, which would you give up?
My answer to this question in Theory of Knowledge (a mind-twisting, confusing and utterly but oddly enlightening subject I have to take) did not take the twinkling of an eye, but after thinking it through, I realized that the decision was not as easy as it seemed.
Let me first order my senses on its importance to obtaining information about the world around me, enjoying life and serving others: Sight, Hearing, Touch, Taste, and finally Smell. That’s right, I would give up my sense of smell if I had no other choice. Why is that so? Because I don’t find any particular joy in smelling something aromatic; in fact, smells overpower me to an extent where I wish I couldn’t smell, for example some noveaux-riches who put on powerful perfumes that could potentially kill someone, or a certain person who smells horrible but doesn’t know it. I could live without smell, definitely. But then I remembered that the sense of taste relies on smell quite heavily. If I couldn’t smell, then I wouldn’t be able to enjoy the wonders of food. But really, I eat to live, not live to eat, so smell and taste are some things I could live without.
Sight? No way, don’t ever take my sight from me (please God, please). I cannot imagine how blind people can survive without some sort of picture of their surroundings. I would be so afraid, so scared. My hearing? My world crashed upon me when I lose my right ear hearing for a few months; I cannot live without it. Touch? I need touch to get around, but what if I was paralyzed?
I must thank God that I am healthy and abled, but I will never take for granted all that I have. And also to think of others who may be less fortunate. How about you? Which of your senses would you give up?

2 comments:

she3p said...

oh my....tough one.........

i think u meant eat to live and live to eat right??

Samuel K Lis said...

hhe yea...