Monday, June 02, 2008

Happy Gawai Dayak Day!!

To all my Dayak readers... Selamat Ari Gawai Dayak, Gayu Guru Gerai Nyamai!!!
(Don't ask me what it means, I hardly know it myself!! what a lousy Iban I am... *sob*)

On the 1st of June, 2008 we set off for a bumpy ride up to the kampung. It isn't usually bumpy but because there was a new, wider road being built the original road was being crushed to rocky bits... My dad went on a philosophical speech about opportunity cost; The old road has to be sacrificed for the construction of the new road... bleh

The first living thing to greet us, was, of course, our darling bitch dog Baby!! It had grown quite large and fat ever since my dad brought it to kampung to be looked after. It seeemed to be enjoying itself very much, making friends with a cat there...



Some of the visitors to our house included our relatives and some church members, but unfortunately no one was drinking tuak (rice wine) so I couldn't too. Oh well, I didn't really like it anyway...


My family's visitors to my aunt's house (we more or less 'tumpang' my aunt's house lah...)


My dad's (in some sense mine too, but not really) kampung


Some of my relatives

I am proud to be an Iban, although I can't speak much of the language. There are lots of advantages of being a Bumiputera in Malaysia, like getting MARA and JPA scholarships and the BSN Amanah Saham and whatnots, so... I should learn the language. Sometime in the future?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate you for not telling me about the badminton event. Anyways, I guess you guys just don't treat me as a youth member right. Forget it... Tell me the truth.. Why didn't you tell me abt the event?

Samuel K Lis said...

omg lilian!!
how could u say something like that.
it was actually just me gloria and leti only iu noe!! it was kind of like my date with her... but den ppl want to go so they go lo...
n we didnt think u played badminton cos u don tell us abt urself much.
and i think ur attitude is way off. u hav to change that, u know. ppl don really like others with a bad attitude and insecurity.