Monday, July 07, 2008

New Wimbledon Champion

Oh gawd. Roger Federer has lost to Rafael Nadal in Wimbledon 2008 after five consecutive years of ruling the grass courts.



The score was 6-4 6-4 6-7 6-7 9-7. King of Grass has lost to King of Clay. When I went online early this morning to see the results, my heart fell to the ground with a plop. I had expected Roger Federer to win hands down. But no, Rafael Nadal played the best shots at the most important points. I went to school this morning disheartened and lifeless.

But when I watched the replay this afternoon, I began to think differently. I saw how both Nadal and Federer played theirs hearts and souls out. They both looked tired, but their spirit not withering. They had a I'm-about-to-cry look, Federer actually worried for the first time on grass. Well it had been five years.



First there were service breaks. Then two tie breaks. Then rain breaks. And finally... heartbreak for Roger Federer, still world number one, but just hanging on by his teeth.



When I watched the final two or three hours of the match until the end of the television broadcast, I could feel the intense joy of Rafael Nadal when he flopped to the ground in exhausting excitement. Then he goes running around hugging people, with a flag and later with a golden trophy in his muscular hands. What a sight.



I am sad for Federer - he was so close to winning his record sixth Wimbledon title!! But I think it's good for him - it keeps his nose level with his head, otherwise he may turn out to be like Justine Henin who felt she was too successful already. We'll see more of Federer, for sure. I hope he does well at Beijing Olympics 2008!

But when I see Nadal, I begin to realize how much the joy of earning something from hard work and sheer determination is. I think watching it has motivated me to work hard for my exams, to do all I can do get my results slip and have the smile and joy comparable to winning Wimbledon. Wow.

...And I think that means more time in the books than in the blog, right? I'm getting there...

[Pictures from wimbledon.org]

No comments: